Sunday, September 5, 2010

Superwash Wool What it is and why I like it by Wooly Spider 2

I love Superwash wool because I can wash it without worrying about shrinkage. Like many of you, I was always a little afraid to crochet and knit with wool before because of all the hardwork involved in it's care but now that I have found Superwash , I can now make my granddaughter a sweater without worrying that she will ruin it by throwing into the wash or make that new baby blanket without worrying about the care of it because as we all know babies make messes.I use it for many of my projects extensively. I love it's versatility and ease in care. I use it for many of my projects extensively. I also love the fact that it comes in both dk weight and lace weight, which covers a lot of my products. The colors are bright and their is a good variety of them so that I can match them to almost all of my projects. If you like working with wool yarns and I do, you definitely need to check this yarn out.

Definition:

Superwash wool is a special wool product that has been treated or processed in a way that allows it to be machine washable.

How is Superwash wool made?

So how is superwash wool made? It can be made using an acid bath that removes the "scales" from the fiber, or it can be made by coating the fiber with a polymer that basically keeps the scales from being able to join together and cause shrinkage.

You probably won't know which method was used on your superwash wool when you buy it in the store, but you might be able to tell when you start knitting. That's because polymer-coated yarn tends to be slicker than regular wool.

To care for superwash wool, wash it on the gentle cycle in your washing machine. A natural-fiber shampoo like you might use for hand-washing non-superwash wools is recommended. Let the garment air dry rather than using the dryer.

You can find Superwash Wool at my yarn store.

No comments:

Post a Comment